Sunday, March 02, 2008

Maniacal printing weekend!

What a productive weekend! Straight up printing like crazy, and it was a blast. Maybe it was the nice weather or something. Spring is flowing into my bloodstream...



From the Heart-line etch

My very first long-ass etch: this plate was in the acid for about 22 hours. I was a little afraid that the lines wouldn't hold ink but they're perfect. I drew with my scraper to get the thicker lines, and got the base facial expressions from photos of some metal shows, after kind of doodling on my plate and getting the idea. Then I prepped another plate and got this...


From the Heart-line etch, aquatint, multiplate

For the background plate, I have two silhouetted guitar-playing figures, also from photos. I wiped the aquatinted areas (just the figures) with red and rolled yellow over the top. I was skeptical as to whether the images would work when combined, but they both work well on their own so I wasn't terribly concerned. It worked, though! This print is the second in a series of metal-related images that I started last semester with "Stage Presence". It kind of speaks for itself, I suppose. I'm having fun with this series, and look forward to continuing it. Big thanks to all the bands I've seen and listened to for enabling me to have awesome photos to work off of (and to Metal Pat for the ones I used that were his), and of course, to the man with the iron lungs for the inspiration to begin this.


Tiger(Lily)-line etch, multiplate, monotype

The second print I've pulled of this image-I painted the background on the back of the plate, printed it, then inked up the tiger and printed that on top. This print was inspired by my current relationship-the first real one I've had in years, and the first truly excellent one I've had..ever...so it's really exciting, and I wanted to symbolize it in a way that's not obvious to everyone who looks at this. I think I'll leave it at that and let some mystery remain.


Catching Rain-monotype

Just playing around-this is the first time I did a monoprint using a large sheet of plexiglass. I spread ink on in all directions and then took a Q-tip to draw in the figure by wiping off ink.

Dark Angel Ascending-monotype

Another monoprint with the sheet of plexi. I had And Hope to Die cranked, played with ink along to the music and this is what came out of it. I'm ecstatic about this one-it turned out great. AHTD...the fuel behind many works of art



Untitled-monotype

More playing-I rolled red and yellow on, then drizzled on some oiled down blue. And it actually didn't run all over the place, which was surprising. I'm probably going to do something more with this one, haven't decided what yet, though.


Untitled-etch/open bite

This is the same plate as the one I used in the monoprint above. I had been working on an image with this one, but it's an old plate and was too beat up, so I just said Fuck it, splashed some asphaltum on it and threw it in the acid for about 20 hours so it could be a plate to play around on. And I will. We'll see what else happens with this one.


Untitled-Monotype

Same thing as above, just dripped oiled down ink onto the plate and let it do its work, then saw kind of a head shape, so I took white ink and painted on facial features.


World is on Fire-monotype
Another one with the large sheet of plexi, just experimenting. I'll likely do something else with this one as well. Updates as they come along, of course.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow girl! Maniacal printing weekend indeed!!
I like the deep line etches you have been doing [top images] and your colorful and expressive monoprints.

You are an amazing...and of course incredibly inspirational print sister.