Friday, August 10, 2007

Almost all are up!

I've been a slacker about getting the rest of the stuff I've got up here! There's been plenty going on to keep me busy, though. Here are a few more prints I had lying around, still some more to get up, but I'm almost finished with what I have. And I just got myself a new toy-a digital camera!-so as soon as I get that thing all figured out, I'll finally be able to get pictures of my paintings and lithos on here, and likely some photos from my upcoming trip to Vermont. Exciting stuff!







Philosophizing in Reverse-line etch, aquatint, monoprint

I often use text in my prints, which of course requires mastering the art of writing backwards. I was thinking about that, how when I write on a plate, I see something different than what others see in the final product. I started asking myself what the right way to see it really is, why we always view things from left to right, top to bottom. So this was just me getting all philosophical and confusing myself, as I often do. This one is still in the works; I'm not totally sure what else I want to do with it, but I like the concept and this one turned out alright, so we'll see what happens.





Tattoohead- line etch, drypoint, aquatint, simultaneous color


I found a piece of scrap copper with just the outline of a face etched into it, so I took it and played around with it. The outlines of the tattoo designs were all done with drypoint, to keep me working during break last summer. When I got back into the shop, I aquatinted the plate to fill in the designs (I'm surprised I had the patience, and that it turned out so well on the first try!). Tattoos and other forms of body modification are very interesting to me, and I want to do more with this subject in future prints.






Intergalactic Rodeo- Aquatint, simultaneous color

Another one done on scrap copper-this one just had the scratches etched into it. I aquatinted the plate and dripped varnish on it, and this is the image that it formed into. I thought it looked like a weird alien creature on the back of another weird alien creature...hence the name. The dark background really makes the figures pop, an effect that I really like. I'll be playing around more with that, I think.






Humanity drowning in oil and blood-monoprint


This one was done on the same plate as Intergalactic Rodeo. I oiled down the ink quite a bit, covering the plate and letting it do its work for the background, then painted the face directly on the paper afterwards. The title explains what the image made me think of, like most titles of my monoprints do.







Their hearts bled as they cried why- simultaneous color, etch

To get the background, face and figure for this image, I dripped asphaltum on the plate and painted in the figure and face, then let that etch in. The background was wiped on, and I had to go back in and paint on the plate to fill in the figure and face because they didn't show up otherwise since there was no aquatinting done. It was a fun, although at times frustrating, process. Just experimenting with a new idea and seeing what happened.

No comments: